FOREFRONT ARTS PERFORMANCE TROUPES
Junior Theatre Festival 2019 spots are currently being filled! Returning members and new students can reserve their JTF spots by emailing info@ForefrontArts.com.
We have two performance troupe opportunities offered at multiple locations: the Young Actors Ensemble (YAE) and the Forefront Arts Teen Ensemble (FATE). YAE is for grades 2-12 and we produce our large full-scale musicals each spring with this troupe. We also perform periodically at local festivals, competitions, and other events with this troupe. FATE is for grades 6-12 and we produce intimate dramatic/comedic plays and classical shows each winter/spring with this troupe of our most experienced & serious students. FATE is comprised of our most upper-level YAE members. (Everyone participates in the YAE musical and YAE members can also audition to be accepted into the more intimate FATE troupe for additional training and performance experience).
YOUNG ACTORS ENSEMBLE:
- Acceptance into the Young Actors Ensemble is invitation only, based on an audition (details below)++
- Join a performance troupe of our most talented and dedicated young performers
- YAE Members are required to take a theatre skills class to participate in the YAE. Classes will allow the troupe members to develop their performance skills and technique so that rehearsals can focus on preparation for the shows
- 2 hour weekly rehearsal, September - May
- Additional optional Troupe events: fall family picnic/barbecue, spring cast lock-in/sleepover
- Troupe members will perform at a formal Family Banquet for troupe members and their families at end of season
- Each troupe performs their full show for 1 weekend in the Spring.
- After the spring musical, troupes will continue to meet weekly to rehearse new material for the Family Banquet and Spring Showcase, through May.
FOREFRONT ARTS TEEN ENSEMBLE (FATE):
- YAE members ages 13-18 can also audition to join our Teen Ensemble. The Teen Ensemble is comprised of our most upper-level YAE members who want more specific acting training and opportunities to hone their craft.
- 2 hour weekly rehearsal, September - May.
- Additional FATE events including some special team-building events and outings.
- FATE performs a straight play each winter/spring
- Possibility of performing a cabaret or improv night in fall/winter in addition to FATE play.
- After the play performance, the troupe will continue to meet weekly to rehearse new material for the Family Banquet and Spring Showcase through May.
Acceptance into the Young Actors Ensemble and FATE is by invitation, after an audition and interview with each prospective cast member & a parent. Your audition will be scheduled after you have registered for a class and selected on the registration form that you want to audition to join the YAE or FATE.
The YAE/FATE audition will consist of each student singing 32 bars of a musical theatre song with instrumental accompaniment (karaoke track), reading scenes from several scripts or performing a monologue, and a short interview with the student and parent to answer any questions you may have about the troupe or our rehearsal process, and to make sure the student and parents understand the commitment and expectations of joining the troupe. If being offered a spot in the troupe, we will email you a link to a registration form for the troupes, which you must complete within 7 days to accept your spot.
The Production Fee of $65/month (per troupe) includes all of the rehearsal time (app. 2 hours weekly and app. 20 hours during tech week) with a professional director, personal keepsake scripts, costume pieces, sets, props, lighting, rehearsal space rental, venue rental for the performances, show rights and royalties, insurance, additional staff for production prep and tech week, all of the opportunities listed above, and much more!
(We do everything we can to make our production an affordable experience for all families. The cost works out to about $7/rehearsal hour and pays for all of the above production expenses, plus the professional instructor.)
Troupe Time Commitment:
The Young Actors Ensemble and FATE will hold weekly rehearsals during the school year and work towards several performance opportunities. Parents of YAE and FATE members will join a volunteer committee to assist with aspects of the productions (Costumes, Set/Props, Publicity, Advertising & Sponsorships,etc). Periodic parent meetings will be held to keep everyone informed of the show progress. Parents should expect to volunteer app 20 hours over the course of the season to help with each production. Parents also assist with audience services during the performances (ticket table, ushering, concessions, backstage monitor, etc)
The week before each performance weekend (tech week) will feature nightly rehearsals as we add in the costumes, sets, props, and lighting in preparation for the performances.
Troupe members are expected to work at home to learn their lines, music, and choreography, Off-book assignments will be given and cast members are expected to meet each deadline. If a student is not memorized by a deadline, they will be placed on probation and given 1 week to catch up with their memorization. If they are not caught up at the following rehearsal, their part may be cut or re-assigned to another actor.
Troupe members are required to submit any conflicts at the start of each semester and we will build the rehearsal schedule around those conflicts. Once the rehearsal schedule is set, any additional absences must be submitted in writing, as a request, and the director has the authority to say yes or no. 1 additional absence per semester is allowed. The final 2 weeks before performances, tech rehearsals, and performances are mandatory for all performers. No exceptions will be made for tech rehearsals.
Each troupe member is responsible for selling $100 worth of tickets (10 tickets) to the performances, or that amount in cast shout-outs or business ads for the show program. Troupe members will have the opportunity to accept pre-orders from family & friends for their 10 ticket minimum, or we can bill the student's account and give you the 10 tickets to distribute as you like.